What is “QuickBooks File Doctor”?
QuickBooks File Doctor is a tool developed by Intuit, the company who owns QuickBooks-the famous accounting software. File Doctor is designed to help users diagnose and resolve common issues related to their company files and network-related issues. The tool can be invaluable for users experiencing problems while opening a company file, especially if it’s due to file or data corruption or certain network issues.
Over the years, QuickBooks has become an indispensable tool for businesses worldwide. However, like any software, it might show some errors while operating with company files. That’s where QuickBooks File Doctor comes into rescue. Designed with the user in mind, this tool is a testament to Intuit’s commitment to providing a seamless experience for its users. Whether you’re facing network issues or corrupted company files, QuickBooks File Doctor is your go-to solution.
Earlier, back in 2012 this tool used to be standalone i.e. it was available exclusive of QuickBooks but after QuickBooks 2016, Intuit integrated this tool in the software itself.
Let us now discuss more about this tool, its usability and functionality in the later sections of this article.
Versions of QuickBooks File Doctor
There are two versions of QuickBooks File Doctor that users can avail to resolve their issues.
- Stand-Alone Version: This version of QBFD can be downloaded and installed independently of QuickBooks, it is usable in the server only where QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed.
- Inbuilt-Version: As we mentioned earlier, in QuickBooks 2016 onwards version, QuickBooks File Doctor is inbuilt in the software itself.
- File Doctor Available in QuickBooks Tool Hub: Nowadays, QuickBooks File Doctor is available to be used through the QuickBooks Tool Hub. You can find it in the “Company File Issue” Tab of the QB Tool Hub.
QuickBooks desktop file doctor stand-alone version is used on the server. However, you need to install the QuickBooks database server manager also for hosting purposes. Another built-in version of QB file doctor is available in all later editions of QuickBooks 2015.
More about QuickBooks File Doctor
|Software Name||QuickBooks File Doctor|
|Category||Accounting and Bookkeeping|
|Supported Operating Systems||Windows|
QBFD is integrated with all later editions of QuickBooks 2015. Therefore, if you have an earlier version then make sure to update it with any of these editions. You can move towards the download and install QB file doctor page on the Intuit website. Unfortunately, Mac users cannot take benefit from the tool as it is compatible only with Windows OS and the US and UK versions of QuickBooks.
Advantages and Limitations of File Doctor Tool
- Can resolve Network and Connectivity Issues.
- Best tool to resolve H-Series errors.
- It helps in backing up your data securing your valuable time in information.
- Can help you access company files easily.
- Can not be used with Company Files over 2GB
- Does not work without internet connection.
- Require admin Login and Passwords.
- Database Server Manager is necessary to work properly.
Limitations of QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- QB file doctor cannot scan the file if it does not fall under the space of 2GB.
- Admin ID and password are needed to access the QBFD.
- Proper internet connection for uploading the file.
- Different QuickBooks versions may prevent the user from using Network connectivity diagnosis and repair.
- Using a database server manager can also cause the problem.
Errors Fixed by QB File Doctor Tool
If you are having any trouble with company files, it may be due to some error codes. Below is the list of errors that can be resolved with the File Doctor Tool.
|Error code -6150||Error code -6000/ -82||QB Error code -6000 -305|
|Error code -6000 -301||Network errors||Installation errors|
|Error in updating QuickBooks||Firewall port poorly configured||QB Error 6147, or Error -6130|
|And other 6000 series errors||Multi-user mode errors||Damaged company files|
|Damaged Windows registry||Data corruption errors||Malware attack hard drive|
|QuickBooks database server manager related bugs||Unable to open QuickBooks company file||Missing or blank vendor, customer, or employee lists|
|Various type of H series error||QuickBooks error H202||QB Error code H505|
Points to consider before Using QuickBooks File Doctor
- Before Installing the latest QuickBooks File Doctor, make sure to uninstall any older versions you might have.
- Even though QuickBooks (2016 and newer) has a built-in File Doctor, sometimes it’s better to stick with the standalone tool.
- QuickBooks File Doctor is only for Windows OS.
- Ever see the File Doctor tool pop up out of the blue? Don’t fret; it’s just trying to help. Click ‘start’ and let it do its magic.
How to Download QuickBooks File Doctor?
Here is the detailed guide to download and Install QuickBooks File Doctor onto your system. But before that, make up your mind which version of it you wish to use. Whichever version you use is totally up to you. Let’s see how we can do this.
Downloading from Official Website or Third Party Software Providers
Though we do not recommend you to download any software from a third party website, there are some legit websites that have a reputation on the market. Here is the step by step guide to download from one of the websites.
- QuickBooks File Doctor stand alone version is available on third party software providers websites such as CNET.
- Go to download.cnet.com
- Search for “QuickBooks File Doctor” in the search bar at the top.
- Read the software information carefully and Click Download
- Soon, an executable file will be downloaded to your browser. Press CTRL+J to see the download.
- You can double Click this file any time to install the File Doctor Tool.
Accessing QuickBooks File Doctor from QuickBooks Tool Hub
Accessing QuickBooks File Doctor from the tool hub is also recommended by QuickBooks as you might already be using it for other errors and issues as well. Let’s see how to do it.
- Download and Install QuickBooks Tool Hub as mentioned on our website.
- Navigate to “Company File Issues” Tab from there.
- You will see “Run QuickBooks File Doctor”, Click it.
- The process will take some time and QuickBooks Tool Hub will automatically be installed in the Tool Hub.
- Now, You can select company files which you want to fix.
How to Use/Run QuickBooks File Doctor?
QuickBooks file doctor built-in version supports MS Server 2003-2012 and Windows 10, 8, 7. Resolve damaged and corrupted QB files. Helps in repairing issues within the data and file. Available for all UK, US, and Canada versions. Use the diagnostic tool if you cannot find a .NET framework 2.0 on your system.
Now we will learn to use each type of File Doctor one by one.
Using File Doctor Stand Alone Version-
- Double Click the executable file downloaded from Cnet earlier.
- Just like a regular software installation, complete all of the steps.
- When You’ve successfully installed the software, it will appear in the menu of your windows as any software does. Click it to run File Doctor.
- QuickBooks File Doctor is now be showing the option to browse for the damaged company file as shown in the image below.
- Up next, the file doctor tool will give you a couple of choices. Just pick the one that seems right for your problem. Don’t worry, both options are pretty straightforward, so you’ll know which one to go with.
- If you are dealing with a 6000-series error or your company file got damaged, then the first option is probably your best bet.”
- Dealing with network Issues? You can use the second option from there.
- After Clicking Next, Enter QBs admin ID and Password.
- Alright, next up, just choose one of the two options below to keep figuring out and sorting that error. The Two options are “Server” and “Workstation”, choose accordingly.
- Now, QuickBooks File Doctor will automatically repair your company files, You might have to wait for sometime in order to get the process completed.
- Close QuickBooks File Doctor and QuickBooks as well. Now, You are good to go.
Using QuickBooks In-Built File Doctor-
Let’s get to the procedure straight away
- Open QuickBooks, Click “File” and then Select “Utilities”
- Then Select the “Repair File and Network Problems” tab from there.
- QuickBooks File Doctor will open, and ask you to browse the company file which you wish to repair.
- Locate the company file, Click “Check File Damage Only” and Click “Diagnose” button.
- Enter the QB Admin credentials.
- Soon and Shortly, Your error will be resolved.
Using QuickBooks File Doctor from QuickBooks Tool Hub-
- For this you just have to
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub, and Navigate to “Company File Issues”
- Click “Run QuickBooks File Doctor”
- And Repeat the procedure as mentioned in the steps above.
So, from this article we have learnt that The QuickBooks File Doctor is an invaluable tool for resolving common file and network issues in the QuickBooks. By understanding its introduction, downloading process, and usage, users can effectively troubleshoot problems, ensuring smoother operations and minimized disruptions in their accounting tasks. If you have any further queries, let us know in the comments below. We will try to address each queries individually.
Requirements to Install QuickBooks File Doctor
Ensure that you log in to the system as a Windows administrator. If you have installed the tool earlier then make sure to uninstall it to avoid any further problems. Turn on the QuickBooks hosting before downloading the software. Also, ensure that the system has a .NET framework. You are not required to download the QuickBooks file repair to install the doctor file tool.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is QuickBooks File Doctor?
QuickBooks File Doctor is a diagnostic tool developed by Intuit to troubleshoot and rectify common issues and errors related to the QuickBooks desktop application. It's specifically designed to address issues concerning company file corruption, network connection problems, and certain error codes that users might encounter while using QuickBooks.
How do you use QuickBooks File Doctor?
To use QuickBooks File Doctor:
a. Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
b. Open the Tool Hub and select the "Company File Issues" tab.
c. Click on the "Run QuickBooks File Doctor" button.
d. Browse and select the affected company file or let the tool automatically scan for files.
e. Choose the appropriate troubleshooting option: "Check your file" (to fix file issues) or "Check your network" (for network-related issues).
f. Follow the on-screen prompts, enter your QuickBooks admin password if needed, and let the tool diagnose and repair issues
When should you use QuickBooks File Doctor?
Users should consider using QuickBooks File Doctor in situations where:
a. They encounter errors such as -6150, -6000 -82, -6000 -305, -6000 -301, -6147, or -6130.
b. There are discrepancies or potential damage in the company file that's preventing it from opening.
c. There are connectivity issues while setting up QuickBooks in a multi-user environment.
Remember, while QuickBooks File Doctor can remedy many common issues, it may not resolve all problems, and in some cases, users may need to seek additional solutions or professional assistance.